When Should Your Stuttering Child See a Specialist

Sphere: Related Content

Babies are not able to speak yet for the first few years after they are born. However, if the child is already 5 years old and is still stuttering, perhaps you should already see a specialist.

Some instances that merit the need to see a specialist include repeating whole words or phrases, sound and syllable repetitions start to happen more often, an increase in the prolongations of words, the child’s speech begins to be effortful or strained, an increase in facial tension or tightness in the speech muscles, vocal tension resulting in high pitch or loudness, the child chooses to avoid speaking and other facial or body movements that go along with stuttering.

The specialist who will see your child is a called a speech language pathologist. This person is trained in human communication, its development and the various disorders including stuttering. Most individuals have a master’s degree and must pass a state certification or licensure exam in order to practice as well have a certificate from the ASHA or American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. If the doctor is not around, a speech assistant can help out.

It is hard to ask your friends the name of a specialist. Fortunately, you can turn your attention to the Stuttering Foundation of America who will be able to provide you with the name of a pathologist. You may also check out the nearest university, hospital or clinic for assistance. These places will offer testing and therapy for those who are stuttering.

At home, you should be very understanding with your child by talking to him or her slowly and encouraging the other family members to do the same. Give them some quality time so they can ask questions and you should wait at least a second or two before giving your response. Just don’t make the mistake of speaking too slowly since this will sound strange.

The most challenging thing to do is not being upset or annoyed when the stuttering increases. Remember you are already getting help and it takes time for the child to learn new skills and overcome this situation.

You should also reassure your child because if you think that you are the only one who feels frustrated, they feel it too.

There are 3 basic categories of stuttering and the second and third category will need the help of a professional because you don’t have the expertise to do this on your own.

Some parents wait several months before doing anything but you don’t have to wait that long. You can do a simple test by observing your child for ten minutes when he or she is very talkative. If the child stutters more than three times and there is a history of this in the family then you need to seek the help of a speech language pathologist.

There is no cure yet for stuttering. The only thing professionals can do is treat it. If you talk to someone who claims that they have a cure, don’t buy it. If you have tried one form of therapy and it does not work, don’t give up because there are others you can try.

You should not take any chances if your child stutters because you are not sure if he or she will be able to outgrow this like others have in the past.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]


Post a Comment